The SETX Food Bank has many volunteer opportunities available. If you are interested in solving the problem of hunger in Southeast Texas you may want to volunteer with us.
All volunteers are required to complete an application.
Then sign into your home page and choose the shift(s) you wish to work. This list contains current shift listings, a description, the date, time and any special instructions you may need.
Signing in & out of your shift is very important for many reasons.
- Keeping track of your volunteer hours. We retain your hours and you may print them from home anytime for proof of your volunteer service.
- The SETX Food Bank tracks volunteer hours for multiple reasons and uses. Manpower allocations, supply needs for a shift, grant writing and tracking trends for planning, are just a few examples.
- In case of emergency, the staff must know how many volunteers are working. An example would be if the building had to be evacuated. We must know how many volunteers are on site.
- If you were to experience a medical emergency or issue, we would know who you are and who to call as your emergency contact person.
You may sign in on your phone, if you receive our text messages and your locations services are active. Or, you may use our computers which are located in the Main Office, School Tools Department and the Barbee Building Warehouse.
Current volunteer opportunities:
- Food Sorting, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from Noon until 3:00 pm.
- Produce Sorting, Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon from 1:00 until 4:00 pm.
- Family Box Day, Every 2nd Saturday of the month, 8:30 until 11:00 am
- School Tools, Monday through Thursday from 2:30 until 5:30 pm and every 2nd Saturday from 8:00 until 11:00 am. (This department is closed when school is not in session)
- Senior Box Assembly, Friday mornings, 9:00 am until noon.
- Senior Box Saturday, Every 3rd Saturday of the month, 9:00 am until noon.
- Special Events, these will be listed as they arise.
- Office Assistance, we usually have office tasks volunteers can perform. Please call the Volunteer Department for more details.
- New Saturday shifts are about to be released, please watch for these new shifts, they will be held on the 1st and 4th Saturday each month.
Are you part of a group?
Would you like to list your group? Call the Volunteer Support Specialist. Corporate, civic and church groups are welcome.
If your group is already listed in our system, please choose your group in the application process or you may add it later.
If you are part of an organization with Lamar University be advised that ALL LU organizations are listed with “LU” first in their title. For example, LU Alpha Alpha Alpha or LU Society of Civil Engineers, and so on.
What NOT to wear:
- Open toed shoes.
- Headphones or earbuds.
- Jewelry which could catch on something and present a safety hazard.
We ask volunteers to please restrict use of cell phones while working.
- Teens 13 to 17 years old are welcome when accompanied by an adult.
- The accompanying adult must work with the teen and also be registered for the shift.
Children, 12 and under, are not allowed to volunteer at the SETX Food Bank and may not accompany a volunteer while on their shift.