When you arrive please sign in. Please check in the volunteer office for assignments.
The SETX Food Bank has many volunteer opportunities available. If you are interested in solving the problem of hunger in Southeast Texas you may want to volunteer with us.
Summer is when our volunteer resources are stretched to the max. Many of our volunteers go on vacation. Lamar University is a big source of our volunteer work force and when they break for the summer we need more volunteers from the community.
We welcome extra groups during the summer months. Workplace groups, church groups – especially youth groups and civic organizations are the key to the Food Bank being able to continue to keep food going out to those in need.
If you have COURT ORDERED community service hours to perform please contact the Volunteer Department at 409-839-8777 ext. 104 before making a profile. Prior approval is required before you arrive to volunteer.
Current volunteer opportunities:
Wait List – If you have signed up for a shift which is full you will be put on a wait list. If you are on a wait list please wait until you are notified before coming to that shift.
Signing in & out of your shift is very important for many reasons.
- We retain your hours and you may print them from home anytime for proof of your volunteer service.
- The SETX Food Bank tracks volunteer hours for multiple reasons and uses. Manpower allocations, supply needs for a shift, grant writing and tracking trends for planning, are just a few examples.
- In case of emergency, the staff must know how many volunteers are working. An example would be if the building had to be evacuated. We must know how many volunteers are on site.
- If you were to experience a medical emergency, we would know who you are and who to call.
What NOT to wear:
- Open toed shoes.
- Headphones or earbuds.
- Jewelry which could catch on something and present a safety hazard.
We ask volunteers to please restrict use of cell phones while working.
- Teens 13 to 17 years old are welcome when accompanied by an adult.
- The accompanying adult must work with the teen and also be registered for the shift.
- Children 12 years old and younger are not allowed to volunteer and may not accompany a volunteer while working.
Are you part of a group?
Be sure and choose your group(s) when making your profile.
Your group not listed? Call the Volunteer Department. 409-839-8777 ext.104
If you are part of an organization with Lamar University be advised that ALL LU organizations are listed with “LU” first in their title. For example, LU Alpha Alpha Alpha or LU Society of Civil Engineers, and so on.