ALL FIRST-TIME VOLUNTEERS MUST VIEW THIS VIDEO FOR AN ORIENTATION TO VOLUNTEERISM AT THE SOUTHEAST TEXAS FOOD BANK BEFORE COMPLETING A VOLUNTEER PROFILE AND SIGNING UP FOR VOLUNTEER SHIFT(S). THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN VOLUNTEERING AT THE SOUTHEAST TEXAS FOOD BANK!
When you arrive please sign in. Please check in the volunteer office for assignments.
The Southeast Texas Food Bank has many volunteer activities. Come alone or grab your friends and co-workers to volunteer at the Food Bank.
The SETX Food Bank has volunteer opportunities like sorting food, creating meal boxes and sorting supplies for our School Tools Program. If you are interested in making new friends, getting more involved or helping solve the problem of hunger in Southeast Texas then you may want to volunteer with us.
NEW to our Food Bank is an opportunity to get your hands dirty in our Enrichment Garden, which has no age limit (all other volunteer duties have an age requirement of 13+ years). Be sure to also watch for our REMOTE volunteer opportunities happening all around our eight county area. This is a great way to witness the activities of the Food Bank full circle – from sorting food to boxing food and delivering to the communities we serve.
If you have COURT ORDERED community service hours to perform please contact the Volunteer Department at 409-839-8777 ext. 116 before making a profile. Prior approval is required before you arrive to volunteer.
Current volunteer opportunities:
Wait List – If you have signed up for a shift which is full you will be put on a wait list. If you are on a wait list please wait until you are notified before coming to that shift.
Signing in & out of your shift is very important for many reasons.
- We retain your hours and you may print them from home anytime for proof of your volunteer service.
- The SETX Food Bank tracks volunteer hours for multiple reasons and uses. Manpower allocations, supply needs for a shift, grant writing and tracking trends for planning, are just a few examples.
- In case of emergency, the staff must know how many volunteers are working. An example would be if the building had to be evacuated. We must know how many volunteers are on site.
- If you were to experience a medical emergency, we would know who you are and who to call.
What NOT to wear:
- Open toed shoes.
- Headphones or earbuds.
- Jewelry which could catch on something and present a safety hazard.
We ask volunteers to please restrict use of cell phones while working.
- Teens 13 to 17 years old are welcome when accompanied by an adult.
- The accompanying adult must work with the teen and also be registered for the shift.
- Children 12 years old and younger are not allowed to volunteer and may not accompany a volunteer while working.
Are you part of a group?
Be sure and choose your group(s) when making your profile.
Your group not listed? Call the Volunteer Department. 409-839-8777 ext.116
If you are part of an organization with Lamar University be advised that ALL LU organizations are listed with “LU” first in their title. For example, LU Alpha Alpha Alpha or LU Society of Civil Engineers, and so on.