Volunteer Data Collector Internship Description
Hunger Study Overview
Feeding America, a non-profit organization, feeds America’s hungry through its network of approximately 200 food banks and engages the country in the fight to end hunger. Hunger in America 2014 will be Feeding America’s sixth extensive study of charitable food assistance. The methods used to collect the data are unlike any other hunger-focused study and capture detailed information about who is in need of emergency food assistance and their circumstances. This information provides an invaluable resource for charitable feeding organizations to help develop programs that best support people in need.
This study is also an important step toward SETX Food Bank’s goal of ending hunger in Southeast Texas by raising awareness of hunger in the community and providing detailed data on the local client population and charitable food services. For the first time ever, client survey data will be collected using touchscreen tablets and wireless technology. Volunteers are needed to conduct client data collection in the SETX Food Bank service area from April through August 2013. We are seeking volunteers who can offer a more sustained commitment throughout the duration of the study, who will serve as interns.
- Data Collector
- Attend an interactive training session led by SETX Food Bank staff members
- Travel to agency sites to facilitate client survey data collection
- Set up the online survey at the agency sites
- Follow a specific sampling plan to identify client eligibility to participate in the survey
- Interact with clients during the survey process
- Address client and agency staff questions about the Hunger Study and the Client Survey
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Manage the support of data collector volunteers through Google or other electronic application
- Collaborate with HSC to ensure volunteers are secured for each data collection site
- Prepare all materials for volunteers’ use at data collection sites
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be willing to commit 2-3days/week to the project between April and August
- Must have reliable transportation or be comfortable using public transportation to get to and from agencies
- Be enthusiastic, flexible, and patient
- Possess strong computer and internet usage skills
- Have an understanding and/or interest in research/social work
- Exercise discretion, respect and show sensitivity towards clients
How to Apply
If you are interested in participating in the Hunger in America 2014 Client Survey data collection or would like more information, please contact Kristen Read; email@example.com or 409-839-8777. Emails need to have a subject line: Internship for HIA 2014.